- Degrees: BA, MA, PGDE
- Website: www.tsbv.org.uk
The resident teacher of the centre is Venerable Rewatha Thero who is a Theravada Buddhist Monk for 33 years. He is a trained RE teacher and completing his Msc in teaching mindfulness based approaches in health care and education at the university of Bangor. Bhante has a M.A in Buddhist Philosophy, BA in Indian Philosophy and Post Graduate diploma in Education.
Rewatha Thero is a tutor of Counselling and psychological services at the university of Glasgow and teaches MBSR courses for staff and students of Glasgow Caledonian University, University of Glasgow , Maryhill Burgh Halls and COPE a mental health charity in Drumchapel. He is a subject specialist teacher (religious, moral and philosophical studies) in secondary schools for west Dunbartonshire and East Dunbartonshire City Councils.
Bhante is a certified mindfulness teacher to deliver Paws.B course for primary school children by Mindfulness in Schools Project. In addition to the secular mindfulness courses which Bhante has taught throughout the world including: Scotland, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, and America, Bhante also provides courses to universities, charitable and educational facilities. He has created several courses for those who have completed MBSR and MBCT.
He is currently developing a course to teach mindfulness for 4-5 years old children as a classroom intervention with Department of child and adolescent psychiatric of university of Glasgow.
What was your experience of having a Buddhist monk as your Course Tutor?
- Novel and very good
- It was explained that this was a secular course. I think participants appreciated the background Bhante brought to MBSR as a Buddhist Monk.
- Enjoyable, a real sense of kindness and compassion – nice element.
- Really interesting to learn from someone that I wouldn’t normally meet in everyday life. Definitely added something to the course being taught with someone with so much experience.
- Very comfortable in the company of Bhante who is clearly very practised in mindfulness and an excellent teacher.
- I felt honoured to be in such a calming presence and be taught by someone so wise.
- He lives mindfully